Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Week 6, Thing 14: Technorati

An interesting thing about the Technorati search is that it's smarter than I thought. When searching for exact phrase "learning 2.0," Technorati searched for both "learning 2" and "learning t," as it knows that numbers can sometimes be spelled out. That's the kind of smart searching I like to see! Huge differences in searching for posts, tags, and in the directory--if searching for particular information, the post search is okay, but if looking for blogs to read, the directory is infinitely preferable. But the most linked to and most favorited blogs are very interesting--they're the kind of information that gets memed across the web in short order, especially Boing Boing. I'd love to be able to read Lifehacker and Engadget--I love tech toys and tools--but there's just way to many posts on those to keep up with. Very interesting that the tech blogs are leading the pack--it's kind of slanted toward the kind of folks who use Technorati and read a lot of blogs online, the technical type. But ooh, ooh, ICanHasCheezburger has moved up to 18 on the most linked list! Who doesn't love a lolcat? I found 5,325 blog posts about "23 things"--lots of people out there doing and talking about this program! Only 3,660 blog posts about "learning 2.0" by comparison.

Again, Technorati is okay, but I really get my blog feeds by reading other blogs and seeing what other people are reading. That way the blog is already previewed and vouched for by someone I'm already reading. Kind of like an author doing his or her own reader's advisory: "If you like my books, you'll also like to read...."

We'll see if this post gets linked under learning 2.0 on Technorati--I used both the HTML tag and Blogger's native tagging. Though if you don't already understand HTML, changing around the tag might not make sense. I also claimed my blog and we'll see what kind of links or favoriting I get. So far, I've only got an authority of 1, from the mention in St. Minutia's blog.


2 comments:

Susan G. said...

Whee! I got a mention in your blog!

You rock!

Am I pitiful or what?

Joanna said...

I'm impressed with your blog. You are really putting a lot into it and having lots of fun too. Your boss