Monday, July 16, 2007

Week 3, Thing 5: Explore Flickr


Amy and Alex at ALA
Originally uploaded by starscrumble
When I'm not a librarian, I'm a freelance editor. I never meet the authors of my books--they're usually academics at universities around the country. Imagine my surprise when I walked by the IFLA booth at the ALA convention and there was Alex Byrne, head of the CAIFE committee of IFLA and author of The Politics of Promoting Freedom of Information and Expression in International Librarianship: The IFLA/FAIFE Project. I finished editing his book the week before the ALA conference. It was a treat for me to meet one of my authors, as editing is a pretty solitary occupation, and he sent me this picture his colleague took of us at ALA. I'm going to post the photo on my editing website too (not to worry, I have permission!)

It's nice to be able to tag photos and share them, but I really do very little public sharing of photos. Thanks, I like most of my photos to stay private, shared to friends by email. However, some of the things that can be done with Flickr are very cool--slideshows, easy blogging tools, etc.

2 comments:

kdf_333 said...

flickr is ok. i have not explored yet. i am still smarting over the fact my yahoophotos is gone and now i have to go thru more trouble to save my photos that are sent to me in emails.

Amy said...

Yeah, I had a few Yahoo! photos I had to move to Flickr too. But then, I didn't use Yahoo! photos very much, so it didn't bother me much. I'm such a Google fiend I really should try out Picasa, but I don't do much with photos, other than take them!