Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23: Maryland Libraries Learning 2.0

What a whirlwind it's been! Some favorites from this program: Meez. I think of Meez as online paper dolls with extra pizzazz. So fun that I had to make two. :-) Also, Zoho Creator. I am completely tickled by the ease of creating web forms and databases. I'm glad I tried out Rollyo some more and discovered its limitations (boy, did that make me cranky). The future of libraries: I still think the future of libraries is bright and exciting, and I'm always glad of the chance to ponder how we'll get to that future.

I would love to do a program like this again. Only I'd, er, like to find out about more stuff that I'm not already doing, not that I didn't learn about some great web 2.0 stuff. :-) I'd like to see more people comment on blogs--there's time yet in the program, but it seems to me that it's one of the real rewards of this kind of program, getting to see what other people are doing in their learning journey and chatting with them about it.

I know it's been a bit of a slog for a lot of people who are not so technologically inclined as me, but I think folks have had an opportunity to have a bit of fun too--learning isn't all fun all the time, but gaining some of these skills is very valuable in our jobs and can be a way to open the mind to new possibilities in library service.

1 comment:

Susan G. said...

Hey! Right back at you, Amy! Dr. Seuss rules!

We finished on the same day! Yippee!

Like you, I enjoyed the experience. I will probably keep blogging, since I'm enjoying it so much. (I've got the massive ego a person needs to have to keep up a blog--I think that people want to hear what I've got to say!)

I've heard there is an extension of the 23 Things which I'm going to investigate (called "Library 2.1" I believe). I'd like to keep going and try new things and hopefully learn more.

I wish more people were enjoying the 23 Things--the project blogs seem fairly divided on the topic. Too bad so many people are feeling stressed about it rather than just taking it as it comes. I also wish more people would really think about what each "Thing" is and how it could be applied to the library. I feel like a lot of people aren't really getting everything they can out of doing the project because they aren't thinking beyond completing each "thing."

Anyway, congratulations on a job well-done Amy!!